Category Archives: Influential people making a move

Breaking News E.A. lays off 10% of the companies workforce 1100 people

The Gaming Post breaking news…

EA the company that makes titles such as Madden, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and FIFA World Cup, just to name a few has reportedly laid off or is in process of laying off over 1100 workers or 10% of its workforce.

We have documented here at The Gaming Post that EA has been in financial trouble. This coming after blunder after blunder. Rumors have been abundant that Tiburon the studio owned by EA that makes madden would be moving out of Orlando.

We have been hit with several cease and desist requests regarding this information. And now today comes the news today from people high up inside EA that these cuts have come straight across the board.

Shutting down some studios and severely limiting others.

We will publish more information as it becomes available.

Photos of the Boston Bombers Released

Photos of the persons believed to set off the bombs in Boston.

If you recognize either of these suspects please contact the FBI at 1800 CALL FBI

20130418-165928.jpg

Suspect Arrested in Boston Bombings “breaking news”

An arrest has been made in the Boston bombings investigation based on two videos showing images of the suspect, a federal law enforcement source told CNN’s Fran Townsend.

[Breaking news update at 1:28 p.m. Wednesday ]

Boston University graduate student Lingzu Lu has been identified by the school as the third person who died in Monday’s bombings at the Boston Marathon.

[Original story, posted at 1:11 p.m. Wednesday]

(CNN) — Investigators believe they have identified a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, a source who has been briefed on the investigation told CNN’s John King exclusively.

The breakthrough came from analysis of video from a department store near the site of the second explosion. Video from a Boston television station also contributed to the progress, said the source, who declined to be more specific but called it a significant development.

Earlier, a federal law enforcement source with firsthand knowledge of the investigation told CNN that a lid to a pressure cooker thought to have been used in the bombings had been found on a roof of a building near the scene.

While such clues may move the investigation forward, they did not reveal whether the attack was an act of domestic or foreign terrorism.

“If your experience and your expertise is Middle East terrorism, it has the hallmarks of al Qaeda or a Middle East group,” former FBI Assistant Director Tom Fuentes said. “If your experience is domestic groups and bombings that have occurred here, it has the hallmarks of a domestic terrorist like Eric Rudolph in the 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics bombings.”

20130417-112208.jpg

FBI will try to rebuild Boston bombs, Breaking TGP TV News, More Evidence found

Image

On their own, they’re simple household items.

Pressure cookers. Nails. Nylon bags.

But combine them with explosives, and you can get the kind of bombs that investigators now suspect were used to turn the finish line of the Boston Marathon into a bloody nightmare.

Scraps of them found at the scene of the twin bombings are being sent to the FBI’s national laboratory, where technicians will try to reconstruct the devices, the federal agent leading the investigation said Tuesday. Meanwhile, investigators combed through a digital mountain of photos and video clips and asked the public for help finding who planted them at two points on Boylston Street.

“Someone knows who did this,” said Rick DesLauriers, the special agent in charge of the FBI’s Boston office. “Cooperation from the community will play a crucial role in this investigation.”

DesLauriers asked people to report anyone who talked about targeting Monday’s race or showed interest in explosives. He urged anyone who might have heard the sounds of explosions in remote areas — possibly by someone testing a bomb — or saw someone carrying “an unusually heavy, dark-colored bag” around Monday to come forward.

There has been no claim of responsibility, DesLauriers said. “The range of suspects and motives remains wide open,” he said.

The U.S. government has warned federal agencies in the past that pressure cookers — airtight pots used to quickly cook or preserve foods — have been packed with explosives and shrapnel and detonated with blasting camps. A law enforcement official said Monday’s bombs were likely detonated by timers. Read the rest of this entry

NJ task force recommends game regulation “Yes folks it must be games that made them do it… REALLY??”

This is a story that I originally found on GameSpot, And it has relevance in everything that is going on in Games today. While I do not agree with the arguments the State of New Jersey is making, I believe both sides should have a voice, And I will listen as I am doing now before giving my side, Or the other side of the coin.

The New Jersey SAFE Task Force has released a comprehensive report calling on Republican Governor Chris Christie to regulate games sold in the state, increase educational efforts about games, and review violent media overall as a means to help stamp out mass violence.

“The interactive nature of video games, as opposed to other forms of media, may dictate particular regulation of such games,” the group wrote.

The first regulatory action the group recommends is requiring minors be accompanied by an adult when purchasing games with an M or AO rating, as judged by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB). The task force also recommends a “request for identification” for the sale or rental of games with M or AO ratings.

On top of this, the group seeks to require game retailers to “conspicuously” display ESRB ratings at the point of sale. These retailers should also develop, maintain, and display their own policy on selling M or AO games, the group said.

Another bullet point on the task force’s recommendation list to Christie is the removal of violent games from state property, namely highway rest areas. The appropriate authority with jurisdiction over such property should “consider the practicality and feasibility of regulating those video games to ensure that violent games are not made available to children,” the group wrote.

The New Jersey SAFE Task Force also would like to see the state conduct a review concerning whether or not violent media is inappropriately marketed to young people.

“Specifically with regard to violent video games, the Task Force encourages the appropriate agency to explore the question of whether retailers should be required to label video games with stickers, in addition to the ESRB rating symbol, to make clear the appropriate age range for a particular video game,” the group said.

Concerning education, the task force said it recommends that the Department of Education (or another appropriate agency) help educate parents about how to make “healthy” media choices for their children. On top of this, the group said it advises industry associations within the state to conduct a comprehensive public information campaign to bolster understanding of media ratings systems.

“Our recommendations are provided cognizant of the fact that violent media has received a great deal of blame for youth violence in the recent past, but most people agree that exposure to media violence alone does not cause a child to commit a violent act,” the group wrote.

“While several major public health organizations have voiced their shared conviction that exposure to violent media leads to more aggressive attitudes, values and behavior, they have also acknowledged that it is not the sole, or even the most important, factor contributing to youth aggression, anti-social attitudes, and violence,” the statement goes on.

Recommendations for action regarding video games are just one part of the task force’s five-chapter, 83-page report to Christie. Other highlights include calls for new gun control measures, new strategies to combat urban violence, various mental health initiatives, and new school safety guidelines.

Christie is in no way bound to follow through on any of the recommendations, as the report is first and foremost a guide to help the governor prioritize these initiatives he feels are most appropriate and pressing.

One of the report’s recommendations is already being acted upon. Following the publication of the report, assemblywoman Linda Stender (D-Middlesex/Somerset/Union) announced plans to introduce a bill that would ban video games containing mature and adult content in public places.

“Games that are meant for older, more mature audiences have no place in places where children can easily access them. Video games alone do not influence violent behavior, but they can play a role. Some of the most prolific mass shootings not just in this country, but in the world had links to violent video games,” Stender said in a statement.

 

“The longer a child is exposed to video games where killing is the sole objective, the greater the chance that he or she will become numb to this type of behavior and even consider it acceptable. This bill would ensure that video games with graphic adult content would not be available to children who are not old enough to make a distinction between fantasy and reality.”

If signed into law, the legislation would prohibit M- and AO-rated games from public spaces and carry a fine of no more than $10,000 for a first offense and no more than $20,000 for any subsequent offense. On top of the monetary fines, a violation could result in cease and desist orders from the Attorney General, punitive damages, and the awarding of treble damages (three times the amount), and cost to the injured.

Stender’s bill is not the only such piece of game legislation to go before the New Jersey Assembly. Earlier this month, republican state lawmakers Sean Kean and Holly Schepisi introduced a bill that would make unlawful the sale of an M- or AO-rated game in the state to any person under the age of 18 without parental consent. In this case, consent means the purchaser’s parent or guardian is present during the transaction and consents to the sale either verbally or through writing.

The bill specifies that anyone caught selling such games to minors would have committed an unlawful practice, which under the Consumer Fraud Act is punishable by a penalty of not more than $10,000 for a first offense and not more than $20,000 for any subsequent offense. Violators could also face further legal action from the state Attorney General, similar to Stender’s legislation listed above.

Video games have been a much-discussed topic since December’s Connecticut schoolhouse massacre. A reportedly “deranged gamer” killed 20 children and six adults before taking his own life on December 14 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Most recently, Democratic California Senator Dianne Feinstein argued that violent games can serve as simulators for would-be mass murderers.

Police search for van and suspect in Boston Bombings

On Monday night agents from the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), and other law enforcement agencies raided a unit in a high-rise apartment on Ocean Drive in the seaside Boston suburb of Revere, according to information posted online by a participating local fire department. Several bags, including what appeared to be a large duffel bag, were removed from the scene. Authorities were mum as to the specifics of their suspicions but confirmed that the Revere search was related to the case.

Police have issued an alert for a rental van that may have tried to gain access to the finish line area and for a man in dark clothing and a hood seen leaving the scene shortly before the blast, reported NBC. Surveillance video shows a hooded figure carrying two backpacks at about that time.

If you have any information please contact the FBI at 1-800-Call-FBI

For those sending emails about game reporting we will get back to that. But as the editor of The Gaming Post I’ve made a judgement call to do the right thing and get this information out there. Thanks for all your help.

20130416-122125.jpg

Federal and local authorities execute warrant, one step closer to catching the Boston bombers

REVERE, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com)—Police were seen carrying several large bags from a suburban Boston apartment that authorities say was searched in connection to the Boston Marathon bombing.

The bags were removed from the apartment on Ocean Avenue in Revere just north of Boston at about 2 a.m. Tuesday.

Police did not disclose what was in them and calls to federal and state authorities were not immediately returned.

Massachusetts State Police confirmed that a search warrant was served Monday night but provided no further details.

The Revere Fire Department wrote on its Facebook page that firefighters responded to the scene for a search for “a person of interest.”

The FBI is leading the investigation into the explosions, which killed three people and injured more than 170 people.

Heavily armed state troopers, National Guard members and SWAT teams are patrolling the city. Expect bags to be randomly searched on the MBTA.

Gov. Deval Patrick said the area will pretty much stay in lockdown mode. Workers and visitors will not be allowed into that zone, and residents will not be allowed into their homes in the blast zone until further notice.

20130416-112409.jpg

20130416-112421.jpg

Boston Bombed in Terrorist Attack, Help us make a difference

Image

As Editor of The Gaming Post, You may see I take on causes that I feel need a voice, Like their being no Unions or organization in the games industry for an example.

Being from Boston, Mass. When I woke this morning and saw my cousin Jay O’Neil post a comment on facebook about Boston being bombed, Then turned on the PC to the horror on http://CNN.com, I was simply blown away, I really couldn’t believe it, In this time in this age that something like this could happen.

But it did, And after watching much of the news today I was disappointed, Not at the brave men and women of the Boston Police Dept, Nor the brave citizens, But whoever was responsible for allowing “THE SUSPICIOUS PERSON” to just walk away.

Sadly I feel that after all these years since September 11th we have again become complacent and have the belief that “IT CAN’T HAPPEN HERE”.

Well as we have seen today, It can.

Now what do we do about it?

Well we know our best and brightest will go over the area, View footage, subpoena cell phone records, pull cctv from the area. I know that they will do all they can to catch those responsible. But sometimes it takes more than that, And sometimes the little extra helps.

So as Editor here at The Gaming Post I have created a IndieGoGo account to help fund a reward for information that leads to an arrest for the person responsible, and to help those that need it most right now. You can help by clicking here

I pick my places on where and when I speak out, this is one of those times.

I want to personally thank the men and women of the Boston Police Dept not only for their bravery but their selflessness in the acts today. I also want to recognize and thank the average citizen that put their lives on the line to help their fellow Bostonians out today.

And lastly to our brave men and women who were there from the National Guard today who were some of the first to pull debris off of citizens and in one case actually held a mans leg and artery to keep him from bleeding out. To everyone who helped I send a sincere thank you.

To the FBI Joint Terrorism Task force for acting swiftly and hopefully catching the person or person’s responsible.

Today should allow you to reflect on what is most important in life, Your friends, your family.

Today a 8 year old boy lost his life exercising his right to be free, simply viewing a sporting event. Ladies and Gentlemen I want to remind you that freedom is not FREE. Brave men and women have given their lives for us to all be free, And sadly that young boy and other children did that today.

We should not hide, or stop attending such events, doing so only allows the terrorists to win.

Next time you go to the movies, a hockey game, a marathon, whatever it may be, When they play that National Anthem, Stop and really take a moment and think about what that means and all the people who have given their lives that allow us to be free.

Our thoughts go out to all the people affected and those families affected by the attack today in Boston.

Help us here at The Gaming Post make a difference and get the word out. If you have any information, Saw something, know something, someone talked about something, etc, Please contact the FBI immediately at 1-800-call-FBI.

Again our thought go to the families affected by the attack today. Please send your thoughts and prayers to them.

Thomas

Editor in chief

THE GAMING POST

 

 

Eden Games “Test Drive dev” Closed by Atari after attempted strike, (Another Example and one step closes to Game Unions?)

Alone in the Dark and Test Drive Unlimited developer Eden Games has closed, the Lyon, France-based studio has confirmed (via Eurogamer).

The studio originally opened in 1998.

The official closure of Eden Games comes nearly a year after studio owner Atari labeled the studio as “discontinued operations,” suggesting its shutdown was not far away.

The studio’s final game was 2011’s warmly received Test Drive Unlimited 2 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Previously developed titles include 2008’s Alone in the Dark and the 2006 original Test Drive Unlimited.

In 2011, Eden Games formed a “symbolic strike” aimed at protesting a wave of forthcoming layoffs at the firm, believed to total as many as 80. A letter from Eden Games claimed “mismanagement” on the part of Atari and noted the publisher was not willing to enter negotiations with the studio.

Rhode Island: 38 Studios relied on speculative at best financial projections

38 Studios management knew it was in trouble before moving from Massachusetts to Rhode Island in 2010, according to recently filed documents in Rhode Island Superior Court.

 

Rhode Island Economic Development Corp. lawyer Max Wistow said there is “crushing evidence” that shows founder and former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling and other executives intentionally concealed that financial information, according to The Providence Journal.

The state contends that 38 Studios instead relied on “speculative financial projections” to operate its business.

Rhode Island sued Schilling, along with other 38 Studios executives, in November over the controversial $75 million loan that brought the game company to the Ocean State in 2010.

The state continues to argue that the defendants knew or should have known, but failed to inform the EDC Board, that 38 Studios was destined to fail based on 38 Studios’ own financial projections.

In total, the complaint includes 17 counts of alleged wrongdoing against 38 Studios. These include counts of fraud, unjust enrichment, civil conspiracy, breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, negligence, legal malpractice, negligent misrepresentation, fraudulent misrepresentations and omissions, and breach of fiduciary duty.

Separately, the 38 Studios website has returned to operation today. The site at one point today contained a handful of posts–all created today–highlighted the history of Kingdoms of Amalur: ReckoningProject Copernicus, and Green Monster Games, which would later become 38 Studios.

These posts have all been removed in favor of an update titled “Meh.” Theoriginal website design included a grayscale 38 Studios logo. This has also been removed.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.